The mid-season transfer window in Europe’s major leagues is nearing its conclusion. Have we experienced the calm before the storm?
After a summer when the Saudi Pro League’s lavish expansion sent shockwaves through the game’s traditional centres of power, business in January has been circumspect.
Reports of well-paid stars seeking to jump ship in Saudi has been the prevailing narrative, as opposed to any further big-name arrivals. Former Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson has already returned to Europe with Ajax.
The Premier League frequently catches the eye with huge transfer outlays across the league, but Everton’s points deduction for not meeting their obligations under Profit and Sustainability Rules means clubs will be keen to keep their financial affairs on an even keel.
It feels like a time for bargains rather than blockbusters; being savvy, and not showy. Here’s how much time teams have left to make any late moves.
MORE: Why are players trying to leave Saudi Pro League? Future for Karim Benzema, Cristiano Ronaldo and other stars
When does the transfer window close?
Here are the official dates and times on which the first transfer window of 2024 closes across the major leagues.
- The mid-season transfer window in England opened on January 1, 2024 and will close on February 1, 2024 at 11 p.m. local time (6 p.m. ET).
- Clubs can send a deal sheet to the Premier League to prove a transfer agreement has been reached, giving the clubs involved an extra two hours to complete the paperwork.
- After the window closes, clubs must submit 25-man squad lists of players aged over 21, with a minimum of eight to be homegrown, which means they were 21 or older on January 1, 2024 and spent a total of three years registered to an English or Welsh club before the end of the season in which he turned 21.
- Coaches can later add an unlimited number of under-21 players (born on or after January 1, 2003).
- Ligue 1 and the rest of French football opened their mid-season transfer window on January 1.
- The Ligue 1 winter window also closes on January 31 at 11 p.m local time (5 p.m. ET).
Spain, Germany, Italy
- The transfer windows in La Liga and Serie A opened on January 2, a day after the Bundesliga, which aligned with the Premier League and Ligue 1 by allowing business from New Year’s Day.
- All three close their windows on February 1. The local time deadline in Germany is 6 p.m (12 p.m. ET), with Italy at 8 p.m. (2 p.m. ET) and midnight in Spain (6 p.m. ET).
Transfer windows beyond Europe: Key leagues in North and South America, and Australia
- As a competition that runs across the calendar year as opposed to on a European schedule, MLS is poised to begin its main registration period of January 31 to April 23.
- The mid-season window runs from July 18 to August 14.
Brazil and Argentina
- Argentina opened its transfer window on January 22 and it runs until February 18.
- Brazil’s main transfer window opened on January 11 and closes on March 7.
- The A-League in Australia runs from October to May. It’s mid-season transfer window began on January 10 and ends on February 6.
- The Saudi Pro League opened its window on January 1 and clubs can bring in new players until January 30. Organisers moved the division’s windows to align with the European calendar after complaints a later closing time was causing market instability last September.
Which transfer windows are still open?
Teams in Turkey (February 9) are allowed to sign players after most European clubs cannot.
/ 58 mins ago
Inter Miami vs Orlando City prediction, odds, expert soccer betting tips and best bets for Lionel Messi in MLS
Lionel Messi returns home for an in-state rivalry match on Saturday afternoon as Inter...
/ 1 hour ago
Men’s vs. Women’s boxing rules, explained: Major differences, including rounds, time & weight classes
For over a century, professional boxing was a man’s world and there were no...
/ 1 hour ago
Major League Rugby is back for its seventh season with a few familiar teams...
/ 2 hours ago
Real Madrid vs Valencia prediction, odds, expert football betting tips and best bets for La Liga match
Real Madrid look to keep hold of their strong La Liga title advantage as...
/ 3 hours ago
Each year in March, dogs and mushers assemble in Alaska for one of the...